The Federal government buys over 20 million different types of commercial products and services. To make it easier for agencies to find the things it needs, GSA divides all the goods and services the government buys into logical groupings, which they call schedules. For example,
- all computer hardware and software products and IT professional services, are grouped together under GSA Schedule 70.
- All advertising and marketing services will be found under Schedule 541.
- Building products would be found under Schedule 51, known as the Hardware Superstore.
- Look here for a complete listing of all GSA and VA schedules
If a firm wants to sell its products or services to the government, then it chooses the best schedule (s) to list its offerings. It then submits a proposal to the government to receive a contract under that schedule. If GSA determines that the firm is qualified and offers GSA a favorable price, GSA awards a contract.
GSA Schedules are consistently ranked by federal marketing professionals and federal agencies alike as one of the most important tools a business can have. Small businesses in particular will benefit from getting on the GSA schedule list.
Contracts Awarded Under a GSA Schedule
A GSA contract is awarded if a firm is deemed responsible and qualified under the federal acquisition rules. Key features of a GSA contract or VA contract are:
- its is a five-year government contract
- it has options for three additional five-year options so it is potentially a 20-year federal contract.
- it allows a firm to easily sell its products or services at pre-determined prices
- Any Federal agency can buy off this contract, as well as State and local governments under some circumstances.
- Orders placed under a GSA contract are issued much quicker than other forms of government contracts
The GSA Schedule contract does not guarantee success and sales are not automatic you must still market to the individual agencies - but a GSA contract does make it far easier for agencies to buy from your company. If you want to be a successful government contractor, then this is a must-have tool in your marketing toolbox.
Is Obtaining a GSA Schedule Complicated?
Obtaining a GSA Schedule is a complicated process as the government tries to determine if your firm meets its criteria for what they term a responsible vendor. This free EBook provides you with more valuable information and contains checklists to help you decide if a GSA schedule will benefit your firm.
TurboGSA is a recognized leader in providing personalized, responsive service to our clients, and we work with GSA personnel everyday to ensure your GSA schedule is expeditiously awarded.