Getting a GSA Schedule Contract and its Advantages
Getting a GSA Schedule contract allows firms to get government business without the need to respond to costly RFPs and RFQs and myriad confusing contract requirements. A GSA Schedule is all about the opportunity. It provides businesses the ability to sell to any Federal agency knowing that all terms and conditions have already been negotiated. No more contractual roadblocks stop your progress. A GSA Schedule provides businesses with many significant advantages when pursuing federal work.
You never heard of a GSA Schedule contract? Perhaps it is because it is known by many synonymous terms such as:
- GSA Schedule
- GSA Contract
- Multiple Award Schedule (or MAS)
- Federal Supply Schedule
- GSA Listing, or
- GSA Number
GSA Schedules are consistently ranked by federal marketing professionals and federal agencies alike as one of the most important tools a business can have. Small businesses in particular will gain much benefit from getting on the GSA schedule list.
Preparing a GSA Proposal
Why Get a GSA Contract?
You should consider getting into the GSA Schedule program since it:
- Helps avoid open competitions on FedBizOpps
- Simplifies proposal writing on each federal opportunity
- Minimizes complex Federal contracting issues
- Provides marketing cache and GSA "stamp of approval."
- Shortens the time for Agencies to issue contracts to you (about 15 days compared to 268 days for conventional Federal contracts).
- Is a contracting vehicle of choice for procurement officers.
- Allows you to sell to state and local governments under some circumstances.
- GSA marketing support (free advertising in GSA's magazine, listing in GSA Advantage, and exposure to multiple government procurement sites).
How to Get on GSA Schedule - GSA Flowchart Phases
The four phases of the process for getting on a GSA Schedule.
Getting a GSA schedule contract is a four phase process. Phase 1, GSA Proposal Preparation & Submission, entails preparing your GSA proposal based on the specific GSA schedule's solicitation, and then submitting to GSA via GSA's eOffer system.
Phase 2, GSA Review & Contract negotiation, is when GSA carefully undergoes its due diligence and reviews the proposal to determine if your firm is what GSA terms a Responsible Vendor. They then move on to evaluating the offered pricing and seek to negotiate better terms. Once that is complete, GSa awards the contract. Phase 2 can take 6-12 months these days, although TurboGSA has had some luck in speeding up this process.
Phase 3, GSA Contract Award and Startup, of the GSA proposal process entails the initial steps a firm should take within the first few weeks after the GSA contract award.
Finally, Phase 4, Ongoing GSA Contract Management and Marketing, involves the long term care and marketing of the GSA contract. Contract administrators must work with sales and marketing to ensure that contract compliance is understood. Sales and marketing must understand how to use the schedule so that your firm reaps all the benefits a GSA contract offers.
The GSA schedule program is widely used by Federal Agencies, as is depicted in the following chart. In Fiscal Year 2011 (ended September 30, 2011) GSA Schedule sales exceeded $38.8 billion.
While there are many other types of government contracts available to businesses, having a GSA contract (or VA contract for medical products and services) is an essential tool in your federal marketing toolbox. This is especially true if you are a small business with few or no other government contracts.
How TurboGSA can Help you Get a GSA Schedule
TurboGSA offers several free resources to help you decide if you should move forward with obtaining a GSA contract:
- Download Free Checklist and Ebook to help you understand GSA Schedule and figure out if your firm qualifies for a GSA Schedule.
- Download our free EBook to help you decide if your should get a GSA contract doing it yourself or if you should hire a GSA expert consultant. Getting a GSA Contract: DIY or Retain Expert Help
- View Free GSA Schedule Online briefing (15 minute recorded slideshow that highlights GSA program's benefits and features).
- Attend our live webinars How to Obtain a GSA Contract (a 40 minute presentation plus time for your questions).
- Review lots of other facts and tips about Winning a GSA contract (or see Learn More menu above).
- Infographic dpicting all GSA Schedules by Type
- Or simply call us to discuss your needs and concerns - 866-291-5238.
GSA Consulting Services
If you are already convinced you want support in obtaining a GSA contract please learn more about our high quality, affordable GSA Consulting services for small businesses.